Candied Orange Peel Delores served these at the November, 2012 Book Club meeting. She also
served Spiced Pecans that day.
Delores served these at the November, 2012 Book Club meeting. She also served Spiced Pecans that day.
3 large oranges
¾ cup water
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
2 ¾ cups sugar - divided
1) Slice orange peel into ¼ inch wide strips. There should be about 4 cups.
2) Place peels in non-aluminum saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to boiling and cook covered for 15 minutes. Drain peels in colander
3) Boil water, syrup and 2 cups sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add peels. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 35 to 55 minutes, until translucent and tender.
4) Remove peels with slotted spoon to large rack over baking pan. Let drain 5 minutes. Separate peel. Dry until tacky – about 1 hour.
5) Place remaining ¾ cup sugar in a large bowl. Toss peels in sugar until they are evenly coated with sugar
6) Transfer sugar-coated peels to racks to air-dry, about 2 hours. Store in airtight container up to one month or freeze.